The moment you start learning about SEO, the first thing that you would find is the mention of keywords everywhere. Keywords are an inseparable part of SEO and this holds true even for e-commerce SEO. Digital marketing is filled with tons of research and the first thing to consider is “keyword research”.
Keyword research for e-commerce is one of the stepping stones to build the right SEO strategy for your business. Click To TweetThe few words you choose as keywords can generate loads of organic traffic and in turn, can be a huge driving factor for sales.
You might also be interested in the following articles:
7 Ecommerce SEO Best Practices to Boost Your Sales in 2020
What is Technical SEO for eCommerce Website?
10 Useful Tools for Amazon Sellers
Your Ultimate Guide to Build A Successful On-Page SEO Strategy
So, if you have a business brand and are not working on keyword research then you are potentially losing a lot of sales.
It isn’t wrong to mention that keyword research is more complex than most e-commerce businesses perceive. While it has a certain level of complexity, the good news is that there are multiple ways to choose the best keywords. Luckily there are several e-commerce keyword research tools that are available.
Overall, we can break keyword research into the below 2 categories:
- Find best performing keywords based on different parameter analysis
- Scan competitor websites to get keyword suggestions
However, even if you scan competitor website its always recommended to also analyze the traffic such keywords can generate.
There are multiple ways to perform keyword research for e-commerce websites. Here we will check different ways to perform keyword research along with some well-known keyword research tools for e-commerce.
How to do Keyword Research for Ecommerce Website?
There are multiple ways you can start doing keyword research for e-commerce website. The idea is to top the organic search ranking so that you can drive more traffic to your business website. Click To TweetKeyword research lets you understand what most users are searching about.
Before getting into keyword research, it’s important to understand the user intent behind these searches. Below is a broad classification of user searches:
- Navigational – These are searches where users are in search of a specific product or brand. Below is a similar search where the user will type the brand name and focus on only viewing a specific website.
2. Informational–Such users are searching for specific information about the product or a specific niche. Online stores with blogs are one of the main sources here. Such searches can be targeted by including relevant topics in your business blog. An example is shown below includes an informational blog post added on the VPN product website.
3. Investigation/Reviews–Such searches are done with the intention of getting a review about a product or to know more about the features of a product. As shown in the below example.
4. Purchase Intent – These are users who search for products or brands with the intention of making a purchase. Such searches will have specific keywords related to the product. This can be with long-tailed or short-tailed keywords. Below is a similar search with a short-tailed keyword.
Below is a similar example with long-tailed keyword.
Short-tailed keywords are more competitive and it’s hard to rank higher. Focusing on long-tailed keywords focuses on the specific types of search queries and the probability of getting a conversion is higher. Since most users will find long-tailed keyword search result relevant.
So, before you start you need to check if you want to focus on long-tailed or short-tailed keywords. It is recommended having a mix of both keywords, focusing more on long-tailed keywords. This is simply because the competition would be less here.
Next is to choose the kind of audience you want to target. Like you may choose to focus targeting audience to create brand awareness. So, in this case,you can provide informative blogs with internal links to products.
In case you are choosing to drive more sales using organic traffic then you will have to focus on product-based keywords linked to a landing page.Users with navigational intent do not require any specific keyword since they directly search for your website.
Contrary to this, it is easier to find short-tailed keywords, but for long-tailed keywords, you need to dig deep into keyword research. For long-tailed keywords, you can choose a seed word and then perform keyword research using some of the well-known tools such as Moz.
For instance, on Moz you can choose seed words as “Apartment in Amsterdam” and this would provide you a list of keyword suggestions based on volume.
Moz is a paid tool, though it allows 2 free searches. Some of the other keyword tools available are:
- Google Keyword planner – This is one of the primary places to search for keywords.
- Google auto-complete – By typing any seed word on the google search bar, you can see the list of auto-complete suggestions provided by Google based on popularity. This is another way to get keyword suggestions
- Google Trends – This can suggest the popularity of your keyword as well as other related keywords
- Google search result page – At the very end of the search page in Google, you would be able to find other related searches and can be a good suggestion for keywords.
5. Soolve – This tool consolidates keywords from multiple sources. This includes Google, Amazon, Bing etc.
6. Jaaxy–This is an easy-use tool that provides several keyword choices along with search volumes, competition, etc.It also includes QSR (Quoted search result), which highlights the number of websites targeting the same keyword.
7. Google Search Console–While this is not specifically a keyword tool, it can be used to identify new keyword opportunities. You can combine Google Analytics with Google Search console.
8. Ahrefs – This is another popular keyword research tool. It not only provides keyword suggestions and volume but also includes keyword difficulty along with the exact number of backlinks used by your competitor.
9. SECockpits–This is a tool that is very detailed and focuses on SEO. Along with this, it also provides keyword research options.
10. io–Here you can scan any competitor website to get keyword suggestions.
11. Keyword Everywhere–This can be integrated with chrome browser and provides a suggestion showing keywords in a section referred as “People also search for”.
12. Keyword snatcher–Here you choose keywords from multiple sources such as Google, Yahoo, Bing etc. The tool provides a huge list of keyword suggestions and there are filters to find long-tailed keywords.
13. SEMrush–SEMrush is mainly used to evaluate competitor website keywords. The tool can provide the existing list of keywords that your competitor already is ranked for. Here you also do keyword research based on geographical location. This is a good tool to find long-tailed keywords. One can also use keyword magic tool to get keyword suggestions from SEMrush’s database.
14. KWFinder–This is a simple and easy to use tool. One of the best tools in case you need to find keywords quickly.Also provides a keyword difficulty score for your search. Lower the difficulty score, easier it is to use the keyword.
15. QuestionDB – This tool works well to search for different question-based keywords. You can check popularity of these questions and get some keyword suggestions.
16. Serpstat– This is a complete SEO tool and also includes keyword research help. You can check your competitors for a keyword. In case you find high DA websites such as Wikipedia as one of your listed competitors then you can search for an alternate keyword.
Few other ways of keyword research which are less conventional and not tool based are:
1.Prepare a questionnaire and circulate to get a survey. This can help in knowing what people are looking for or can help in understanding specific queries. With this, you can get keyword suggestions
2. Wikipedia contains tons of information. This can be used to get keyword suggestions as well as can be informative while setting up categories page. For instance, a search for Handbags on Wikipedia gives a list of sections related to handbags.
3. Comments on products or product videos can also be a huge source of getting keyword suggestions. This gives new keyword topic ideas.
How to do Keyword Research Page by Page?
In any e-commerce website, each page will focus on different keywords based on the product being displayed in the page. The pages can be mainly categorized as:
- Home Page
- Product Page
The home page should focus on your brand-related keywords and relevant keywords. Whereas the product page should contain more specific keywords which can be mix of short-tailed keywords and long-tailed keywords.
Below are the steps that need to be followed while doing keyword research:
- Identify keywords. This can be done by using keyword tools.
- Group these keywords into clusters. This can be done by using Serpstat clustering.
- Identify user intent behind a search. Map keywords to landing pages.
- Build content with keyword and related terms in identified landing pages.
On the product page, you will have to target keywords by:
- Answering user queries
2.Grouping keywords and providing information based on customer intent
3.Including well-structured description
4.Add review keyword filters. This feature allows you to specify keywords and provide filtering ability to users who wish to read only specific reviews.
Best Keyword Research Technique in SEO
There are multiple ways in which you can do keyword research. One of the best techniques is as highlighted below:
- List down the main reason to do keyword research. The reason such as brand awareness, new product launch, increase in sales, business goals etc.
- Study user intent. This includes most common searches, perform research on broader topics that viewers want information about. Check social media, competitor websites to get topic ideas.
- Do extensive keyword research relevant to your business, keeping in mind the target audience. Use multiple keyword research tools to get better insights on top-performing keywords.
- Plan to add relevant content. Develop content using these keywords and including SEO tactics for e-commerce
What is the Best Keyword Search Tool?
Keyword search is very elaborate. This forms the basis of the content you add on your website. Owing to this, there is no single keyword search tool that can be considered as best. Most popular keyword search tools such as Ahrefs, SEMrush, Serpstat, Moz focus on keywords as well as SEO.
Its most likely that as a business owner, you would choose multiple tools to do your keyword research. Similarly, most business owners adopt multiple strategies to list down these keywords.
What is the Best Free Keyword Research Tool for SEO?
Keyword research tools make it simple to list down keywords that can be used in your online business. Most of these top-rated tools are paid and some of these provide free trial.
If you are beginning to start keyword search and are searching for a free tool, then the best would be to rely on Google keyword planner. This is an elaborate tool and can provide a range of insights related to each keyword.
Yet another advantage is the huge tutorial resource available online for Google keyword planner. This makes the tool a perfect bet for free keyword research tool.
What is Amazon Keyword Research?
A tool that can be considered for keyword research is the Amazon keyword tool. This tool allows 2 searches per day for free.
Amazon keyword tool lets users perform normal, precise or broad matches. This is an easier way to search for Amazon keywords. Moreover, here you can choose any specific geographical region to see the top performing keywords.
The above search provides 145 results as shown below
Why is Keyword Research Important?
Keywords play a pivotal role in SEO for e-commerce. Without the right keywords, any content or products added to the website would not be visible on organic search.
Most traffic is driven through organic search and given the fact that paid Ads are ignored by most users, it becomes even more important to focus on getting better with organic search. To be visible, your products need to be on the first page of the search and rank higher.
Similar to the below search, relevant brands appear at the top of the list.
This increases the chances of a user clicking on these websites and making a purchase. All put together this is one of the driving factors to increase sales.
Before we wrap up, here we have checked the different keyword research tools available for e-commerce along with how best we can perform keyword research for businesses.
Re-iterating what we have already heard several times now, keywords play an extremely important part of SEO and hence keyword research for any e-commerce business is given so much emphasis. Luckily, there are several easy to use e-commerce keyword research tools that are available.