How to find trending products to sell is the toughest part. Knowing the best product to sell online requires loads of research and accurate judgment of how a particular product will perform, how customers will react to the overall market including newer and emerging market trends.
It is practically difficult to come up with a consolidated guideline on how to find trending products to sell online and list down the best product to sell online. By catching the wave, you will learn not only how to find trending products to sell but do more product sales.
While we do this, you might want to get a list of websites and how to sell a product online for free
The biggest challenge online sellers face today is, every niche has a different trend. A seller should be knowing what people want to buy. Running out on trending products could badly hamper your sales. Click To Tweet
Many times, by the time you find your list of trending products to sell; best product to sell online, the wave is over and those unique products are no longer in demand.
You might also be interested in the following articles:
Moreover, trends vary based on a geographical region. Well, simply put a long story short, you need to do tons of product research and bookmark this article on how to find trending products to sell online for free.
Some of the common mistakes in e-commerce selling are-
- Not focusing much on customer demand
- Ignoring customer feedback
- Limited post-sales customer interaction
- Not showcasing enough product details
- Lot of manual activity/lack of automation
- Not communicating your unique proposition value
- Lack of market understanding
- Poor e-commerce site design
To solve all of these issues, it is extremely important to focus and find trending products to sell online. From a customer’s perspective, the ability to shop by trends allows them to easily browse unique products. This helps in keeping the customers hooked and keep selling.
Below we have consolidated a detailed guideline on how to find trending products to sell online.
Guideline on how to find trending products to sell online
Google Trends on products is one of the best tools to check product popularity. Google trends will give you insights on most searched products on google. Knowing most searched products on google can definitely help your ecommerce business.
It is by far the most popular tool to discover trending products to sell. Based on Google Trends of the product, specific to any regions, you could evaluate viability and make a decision to include in your list of trending products to sell or not.
This is a free tool and is extremely simple to use. It provides a comprehensive graph, showing pictorially how the product is trending and if it is the most searched products on google or not.
For instance, you want to know whether or not a particular product or niche would work well for you. Every ecommerce wants to find that niche product that you can sell online. If you are one of them, then just type in the search keyword in the search box.
You can get Google Trends on products from 2004.
A cynical pattern means that the product is seasonal; the dips and peaks at the same time every year proves the point. However, if the product is peaking upwards, you might be on to something and it is worth including in your list of trending products to sell online.
Data from the past one year might or not convey a clear picture.
For this, you should look at data from 3 to 5 year.
The step-by-step guide to use Google trends to find trending products to sell:
- Select a niche. Use Google searches for an overview.
- Build a mind map. This is to figure out the target niches for your product.
- Go to google.com In the search box, enter your product idea. Note down the suggestions for the niche.
- Alternatively, you can use another online tool “Suggester” to scrape the suggestions. In it, enter the product idea. In this manner, you will get more queries people are searching for. These are the trends. You can also use Google Keyword Planner Tool.
- Evaluate your product.
- Check the market size of the product niche you have selected.
- Check the competition. Are you new or is there some competition?
- Is the potential market growing? Or is it just a fad or trend or stable. A stable market is a safe choice to be in.
- Is your product available locally?
- Do you know your target customers?
Suppose you have an online store for toys. We have searched “Action Figures” in google trends and got the below results-
As you can see, this has a varying trend.
One of the features is to check the product popularity w.r.t Google Shopping (image below). Understanding product popularity within Google Shopping might take you one step closer to finding top trending products to sell online
Along with the product popularity, google trends also gives you trends based on geographical regions.
With google trends, you can also filter based on a specific country. Below is a filtering based on the United States.
Along with region specifications, you can also provide the number of months you wish to pull the trend. This could be way beyond 5 years, or even you can specify a custom time range.
What is incredible, is the fact that this is not just filtered over web search, but one can also see trends based on Image search, News search or YouTube search. A
Google trends, also have options to compare items. So in case you want to sell multiple items, you can very quickly do a product popularity comparison
Below we have compared Action figures, Fidget, Hasbro and Marvel series toys.
Out of this, clearly, Marvel series toys stand out with a more or less consistent trend. Google trends are amazingly simple to use and a powerful way to find trending products to sell.
A good explanation of google trends is provided in the video attached below.
Research on Popular Online Sellers
Besides general popularity trends, you can hack an existing marketplace to discover trending products to sell. This is definitely a bit more tedious job but can provide great insights into finding the top trending products to sell online. You can’t do away from this kind of product research.
Bookmark this list of websites and learn how to sell a product online for free
You can check out best-seller as shown below-
Some of the popular sites to look for are-
- Amazon best seller – It is the largest internet retailer.
- eBay top selling products -It is the largest consumer auction website
- Alibaba best seller -It is a consumer wholesale marketplace.
- Sears best seller – they are experts in commerce and logistics.
- Walmart best seller – A multinational retail corporation.
- Etsy best seller – The website caters to handmade items.
- Target best seller – It is the second largest departmental store retailer in the US.
- AliExpress best seller – it is an online retail service based in China.
- Kohl’s best seller – An American departmental store retailing chain.
JungleScout is an interesting tool to find top trending products sell online, if you are looking to sell on Amazon. This is a paid tool, which helps Amazon sellers conduct product research.
You can discover top trending products to sell online, that are both highly profitable and in-demand. The lowest plan is for $29 per month and allows to track over 40 unique products.
Some of the alternatives for JungleScout are-
- Amachete – This has a free trial version for 14 days. The lowest plan starts at $39
- KIPRT – It has a 3-day free trial. Starts at $39 per month
- Scope – It has a chrome extension which is free
Watch out for Influencers
Once you have made up your mind on product category, you can follow influencers from the industry. You need to make sure you follow the right influencers on social media.
Influencers can be a great way to find trending products to sell online. This can be a game changer for you.
Pay attention to influencers and thought leaders within your niche. Follow them and see what uniqueproducts do they support in the social media.
With their large follower base, they often influence the market positions of any unique products to lead increase in sales.
The popular norm these days is looking for influencers on Instagram. These are often followed by store owners looking to connect with new audiences.
Watch Influencers carefully and you might be able to catch the wave early on. Like the below example.
In the image above, Wimbledon winner, Andy Murray is seen wearing a Rado-D-Star 200 watch which immediately gained popularity among his followers.
Some of the best online tools to uncover the influencers online for a niche products are as under:
This is definitely one of the best ways to discover trending products to sell online.
Trend Publications and Blogs
One can also explore different market trend publications and blogs to get an idea of what is trending things in your niche product or product category.
Some of the relevant websites are-
- Trend Hunter – It is an online community with more than 140K global members, who are interested in sharing market trends. It is one of the largest trend communities you will find online. With this website, it is guaranteed you will get noteworthy advice and tips on any ecommerce topic including finding trending products or trending things to sell. Trend Hunter has new product ideas for everyone. It doesn’t matter whether you are a veteran or aspiring online entrepreneur.
- Trend Watching – It has independent team of professionals from around the world, who provide deep insights about trends in e-commerce business and product categories. The website uses a crowd-sourced team of more than 3000 trend savvy ‘spotters’ from around the world to unleash new and notable products. For more information, you can read their quarterly publications, subscribe to their newsletters/online article. While you can enjoy free content, you can also upgrade to their paid plan to get access to exclusive research information and tools. This might be a good source to finding trending products to sell and do product research on trending things.
- Springwise – It is a newsletter and provides information around different niche products and ideas that empowers online store owners. Browse the various articles published in the last one month or more. If this doesn’t suffice your needs, upgrade to the paid subscription. It provides access to exclusive content. In addition to this, you can subscribe to daily or weekly newsletters full of useful information about the ecommerce business.
- Uncrate – It was launched in 2005 and has become a popular consumer product blog. Mostly it tracks accessory market. It is mostly curated with men’s products like gear, automobiles and apparels from around the world. It has more than 1.5 monthly visitors and covers 9000 items. Every weekday a new gear is posted.
- Cool Material – This is again an independent portal which will help you find top trending products to sell online.This unique website offers information about products and consumer goods especially for men. So, if you wish to sell men products online, then you must check out this website. Also read their blog posts for product reviews, recommendations, the how-to’s and of course lot of entertainment articles.
- More inspiration – A good website which categorically divides segments to search from. It has a whole bunch of trending topics including travel, sports, technology, advertisement and many more from all the domains possible. You will probably find some inspirations here and hot trending products to sell online.
- Cool Business Ideas – This provides valuable trends on different consumer goods, fashion and many others. This site is a must-visit for anyone looking out for new inspirations.They have a vast network of spotters. In addition to a thorough research team with capability to share cool business ideas and opportunities, they have systems which are adapted to local businesses.
These blogs and publications, will not only provide you a direct list of top trending products to sell online, but fill you with great insights on what is currently happening in the market and learn the nuances of your industry.
Thought these blogs are good enough, but you can always search for such related websites that would help you understand your market/industry and take you a step closer to find top trending products to sell online.
Now, let’s discuss how to sell on aliexpress.
The best sellers list on AliExpress is offered as ‘Weekly Best Sellers’. You can also see that the hot sellers section is a directory of most popular products on AliExpress. Isn’t this a cool way to find top trending products to sell online? Aliexpress best sellers can give you some indication on market demand and list of best products to sell online.
As a drop shipping partner you can quickly view weekly AliExpress best selling & trending products in this section especially for holidays and those operating in niche markets.
Product research method employs Aliexpress best selling lists. This is how to sell on aliexpress:
- Visit https://bestselling.aliexpress.com/en
- Go to your preferred category
- Search for your preferred product
- Filter the results by “Orders” and don’t miss “4-star & Up” field
- You will see your preferred product with most orders and the highest ratings
- These are best selling products in your preferred category
- Repeat for more products, if you want.
You can do this for any product under any category or until you find top trending products to sell online 🙂
Visit the website: https://www.aliexpress.com/
Trends portrayed on e-commerce website
Some of the well-known websites such a Suzy Shier allow users to shop by category as well as by trends. So if you happen to browse through these trends, you can get to know what products are currently trending in the market.
Similarly, find trending products on popular e-commerce websites such as Amazon as shown below-
Instant Product Evaluator Tool from a better lemonade stand
Instantly evaluate your product on 18 key criteria (like what you see in the image below) and receive a final score in an email. This will help you understand your product’s strengths and weaknesses.
The tool has an algorithm which will then give you a score between 1-100. This will help you understand the potential advantages and disadvantages of the product chosen as well as the niche.
Once you think you have found the top trending products to sell online, maybe run with the instant ecommerce products evaluator from a better lemonade stand to be sure.
Popularly product review blogs
Popular review blogs are another source to finding trending products to sell online.
They list down the coolest products, sometimes, even before they enter the market with detailed product descriptions.
Like I said before, popular blogs not only help to find top trending products to sell online but also spark spinoff ideas.
Some of the popular blogs include-
- AcquireMag –It was introduced in 2006 and covers topic ranging from fashion, entertainment to cars, electronics.
- Werd – One of the leading gear blogs for men, it covers a diverse range of topics.
- Bens Bargain –Launched in 2000, it covers various niche (software, electronics to name a few) and provide latest deals. They try to find the lowest prices with best deals for their customers. You get to learn a thing or two not only about how to find trending products to sell online but how to sell things online.
- Bless this stuff – It is a web magazine for men. This has a newsletter along with the blog which covers topics such as technology, living, culture, sports, wear and vehicles. This site provides a comprehensive list of travel accessories, gadgets, and several other products.
- Gear Patrol – It is an online magazine launched in 2007 with engrossing stories on cars, home, fitness, outdoors, tech, style, watches, buying guides, deals and reviews.
- Gear Moose – A digital magazine and store for men. This includes gear for men, also consisting of a newsletter of the most popular trends.
- HiConsumption –A lifestyle magazine for men. This is also a men’s accessories website and speaks about almost all day to day accessories from gear to lifestyle and much more.
- Firebox – Launched in 1998, A customized website which includes latest trends in home appliances, food & drinks, gadgets,lifestyle and several others
Do not let your research confined to these websites only. Go to other blogs in your niche. Explore them, you will be a step closer to finding top trending products to sell online.
Curated blogs and Market Places
These are similar to blogs. But, curated blogs do the heavy lifting for you. These curated results will help you find top trending products to sell.
Some of these sites are-
- Canopy – It curates the most durable products from Amazon marketplace.
- Thieve.co – It provides a curated list of products which can be bought from AliExpress. These are hand selected and filtered, so saves a lot of your time rather that browsing through unpopular products.
Business to business marketplaces
B2B marketplaces not only allow you to see the trends but you can also find the suppliers.
Some websites are-
- Alibaba – Launched in 1999, it is the biggest e-commerce company, even larger than eBay and Amazon combined together. It connects consumers all over the world with wholesalers and manufacturers typically from Asia. With tons of product listing, it is rare that you may not find in Alibaba. You can also sort products based on the revenue they generate. There are 40 main categories, including, machinery, consumer electronics and apparels. That’s why we think this could be a good destination to finding top trending products to sell online.
- TradeKey – Again lists different products and wholesale suppliers. It is a reliable B2B platform for commerce. The online portal has been instrumental in bridging the gap between buyers and suppliers, importers and manufacturers across 240 countries. Tradekey could be a source to find the top trending products to sell online.
- Global Sources – The first B2B platform listed in NASDAQ is under the name GSOL. It was instituted in the year 2000. Shows list of products across different niche and lists down the suppliers. Just like Alibaba.com, it is a directory of manufacturers and suppliers but most of them are Chinese. The platform associates itself to the International Trade fairs and might be good source for all online entrepreneurs to check out once in a while to discover top trending products to sell online.
- Made-in-China –The B2B portal was instituted in the year 1996. It is a popular B2B portal and the biggest in China. You can find hot trending products to sell online and they cover almost every category. The enquiry system is based on one-on-one delivery mode. Product information and interests are sent by email to avoid any competition spying.
- IndiaMart – The India’s biggest and largest B2B marketplace. It was founded in 1999 and the 60% of market share is the classified space in India. There are 1 million enquiries made daily. If you want to find top trending products to sell online, this has a separate section on trending products.
Consumer marketplaces sell directly to consumers. By strategically searching on their trending pages, you can get a better sense of current market trends and find top trending products to sell online.
Some of these sites are-
- eBay Popular – A list of most popular product categories on eBay
- eBay Watch – An online tool, which will list the popular items on eBay based on how many people are watching it.
- Amazon Best Sellers – Shows Amazon’s most popular sold products.
- Amazon Movers and Shakers – Amazon’s biggest gainers in sales ranked over past 24 hours. It is updated hourly.
- Kickstarter Discover – You can browse all projects based on popularity, funding and many other options
- Etsy – This display a list of items which are popular currently.
- AliExpress Popular – This shows a detailed list based on category of products which are most popular on AliExpress. Kind of aliexpress best sellers.
- Storenvy – Provides trending products on Storeenvy.
Amazon has its marketplace in 14 countries including Australia, Canada, France, U.S., Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, India, Japan, Netherlands, Mexico, Spain, and the U.K.
Similarly, eBay has sites for 24 countries including Austria, Canada, Belgium, Germany, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Poland, Switzerland, Australia, U.K., U.S. China, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
Social Curation Sites
Social curation sites like Pinterest, can provide tons of insights about product popularity. Many of the images contain new, trending consumer products. Using the inbuilt social signals, you can decipher if the product is popular enough in the market to add to your list of top trending products to sell online.
Some of the large social curation sites are-
- Pinterest Popular Section – This is a fastest growing social network with more than 50 million monthly users. The popular section shows the current trends and you can find your top trending products to sell online.It is one of the top social image networks in the world.
- Polyvore – This is similar to Pinterest. It has a separate trends section for people who are looking for top trending products to sell online.
- Fancy – It is considered as a part-time store and magazine. However, irrespective of what it is, it is filled with product ideas to be explored. A good destination to find your top trending products to sell online here.
- Wanelo –It stands for Want – Need – Love. It consolidates several products into one portal just like Pinterest. You can start by checking out at https://wanelo.co/top/peopl. It brings together world’s shopping with products and stores under one product posting format platform.
- Instagram– You can search on Instagram over a particular hashtag and following relevant people in the industry. Another option to search on Instagram is by searching applicable hashtags that insinuate buyer interest and intent like #want or #buy. Shopify (https://www.instagram.com/shopify/ ) curates interesting and unique products from Shopify’s 90000+ online stores. This might as well provide a spark to finding top trending products to sell online. Lastly, use the save button to save the potential product ideas that you can sell online. You can always check them out later. Amazing way to see what is popular among consumer and discover top trending products to sell online.
Search Best Selling on Shopify
You can find hot, trending products to sell online using popular Shopify apps. Here you can search for popular or frequently used apps.
For example, we searched on “Oberlo” which has 1917 reviews. On the display page on browsing to the bottom, you can see several reviews. Click one of the reviews.
Click one of the URL of the review and add “/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling” to the URL. You will be able to see the popular products. This might help you to discover top trending products to sell online.
This technique can be used on any Shopify website. To browse all Shopify website, you can use- MyIP.ms (https://myip.ms/browse/sites/World_Websites_Database_7000000).
You can filter for Shopify based websites and also specific to a particular region.
On search, you will be displayed a number of sites sorted on the basis of World Site popular rating.
Open the first URL for instance (http://colourpop.com) and add /collections/all?sort_by=best-selling at the end of the URL.
This will provide the complete popular products.
This is an extremely powerful way to find top trending products to sell online.
You might have heard Buzzsumo can help you find popular content but it can do more.
BuzzSumo can help you find top trending products to sell online. It allows you to analyze best performing product/category over Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn along with a number of shares. You can also conduct an advanced search.
All you have to do is type the product name or category in the Buzzsumo search and it will showcase all the trending articles in the niche. This is a good way to find out top trending products to sell online, in any niche.
Additionally, it allows you to filter by the type of content, including videos, interviews, infographics and more.
You can also track the backlinks. By clicking on the link, you can see the complete product description. This has a free trial version and paid version starts at $79 per month.
Buzzsumo is just the right platform to find top trending products to sell online
Google with Shopify
You want best product to sell online and one of the smartest ways to find top trending product to sell online is through Shopify.
Generally, you are required to do some crosschecking on some of the more successful Shopify stores that are selling successfully. Remember, the best products to sell online are going to be listed on prospering Shopify stores.
The bestselling products are listed on popular ecommerce stores.
After you reach an apt Shopify store, add “/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling” at the end of the URL. This will help you get the trending products for any niche by utilizing the technique for any store you wish to create in future.
Here is an example:
To search for hot trending products to sell you can go to google.com and type com along with your product niche.
Once you search, you can click the top appearing links and add (/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling) to the link. This will help in checking the top products. Below we have added a similar search for watches.
Finding products is a matter of doing research and proactively discovering trends. The online market is very vast and the time taken to research about a product can vary based on the product niche. Click To Tweet Unless you are working ahead of the game, it would be difficult to figure out the top trending products to sell online.
Many times, trends are short-lived, which means you always need to be watching. You always need to lookout for newer emerging trends and ensure you do not miss the wave.
We have consolidated all of the different tips together, across various channels. We hope the techniques outlined here would help you to find top trending products to sell online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are common mistakes in e-commerce sales?
Some of the common mistakes in e-commerce selling are-
1. Not focusing much on customer demand
2. Ignoring customer feedback
3. Limited post-sales customer interaction
4. Not showcasing enough product details
5. Lot of manual activity/lack of automation
6. Not communicating your unique proposition value
7. Lack of market understanding
8. Poor e-commerce site design
How to find trending products to sell online?
1. Google Trends is one of the best tools to check product popularity.
2. Besides general popularity trends, you can hack an existing marketplace to discover trending products to sell. This is definitely a bit more tedious job but can provide great insights into finding the top trending products to sell online.
3. You can follow influencers from the industry. You need to make sure you follow the right influencers on social media.
What are the major publications to understand trends in the ecommerce market?
What are the popular product review blogs?
Bless this stuff