Current day e-commerce businesses have seen tremendous changes as compared to what it was at least a few years back. There is a lot of progress and development happening while building an online store. Most businesses use different channels to reach customers.
Different business channels include online store website, social media channels, blogs, and online app. Most online store owners develop their own app to attract mobile users. Small as well as large businesses consider creating their own mobile app to increase their sales. Click To Tweet
On average, most people spend time on mobiles. This is evident from the below stats.
People do not mind downloading an app and trying a product. Mobile apps help in increasing your store revenue. As per Statista, mobile apps are projected to hit $188.9 billion inrevenue by 2020. The top three mobile apps are – Amazon, Facebook, and Gmail.
The number of users downloading apps has increased substantially and can be seen from the below stats provided by Statista.
Mobile users spend more time on apps as compared to the web.
Courtesy: comScore Mobile Metrix
Mobile apps may be used by only a certain set of users, however, as a business, it is essential to capture these users as well. Moreover, many online shoppers install the app and delete it in case they do not like the features or find it complex.
Some of the reason’s users uninstall apps are:
- The app eats up phone memory
- It is slow to load and open
- Complex to use
- It has a bad logo design and colour scheme
- Does not provide essential features
- The design is not visually appealing
- The app does not offer anything different from a website
- Provides too frequent updates or updates which are very large in size
- App crashes frequently
- Is often detected as malware by anti-malware software
- The App does not seem secure
There are multiple such reasons why a mobile app would be not used or uninstalled by shoppers. Shoppers seek seamless shopping experience.
Few Tips to Develop a Better App
To keep sales going on via mobile apps, there are few basic tips which help you develop better shopping apps. Some of these are highlighted below:
Knowing the latest trends and technologies helps you develop better apps. Getting to know winning ideas to develop an app is something that can make your app successful. Most businesses offer iOS and Android app which can be downloaded from the respective app store. There are several technologies available in the market that allow you to develop UI rich apps. One such UI rich app is as shown below:
The right use of technology can let you perform apps that are quick to load and can be UI rich, both at the same time. Using outdated technologies for app development can cause your mobile app to fail considerably.
Some of the commonly used technologies for app development are:
- Swift – Swift is specifically suitable to develop Apple products. It has several advanced features and lets you develop an app with the least technical expertise. It is easy to start and learn and requires minimum coding.
- Java – Java is the official language used for Android apps. This is an open-source language and has several benefits. The list of libraries it supports makes app development seamless.
- C++ – This is a simple programming language and can be used to create dynamic apps. This can be effectively used across multiple platforms. C language was earlier used for Apple app development.
- HTML5 – HTML5 is a good technology to use for developing front-end applications for mobile devices. It is simple to use and equally flexible. This is a powerful front-end development technology.
- PHP– PHP is commonly used for web development. This can be used to create dynamic apps as well as web applications. This is suitable in case you need extensive database integration.
- Android Jetpack – This is one of the recently launched mobile app development technologies. This is increasingly popular amongst Android app developers. The Jetpack contains software, components and best practices techniques to develop robust apps. Using this you can develop a high-quality app in a short duration with less coding efforts. This is a good technology in case you want to develop some really amazing Android apps.
- Kotlin – Java is considered as one of the primary languages to develop Android apps. Kotlin is a statically typed programming language and is suitable for developing high-quality Android apps. This is a better enhancement over Java and fills the gaps which Java has. Kotlin is considered as a revolutionary technology to develop mobile apps for the Android platform.
- Fabric–Fabric is not a technology but is an app development platform. This gives a complete understanding of how your app is getting developed and showcases the different stages of app development. You can real-time track the app development at different stages starting from the development to deployment. The fabric lets you develop apps faster. Fabric incorporates services such as Crashlytics, AdMob, Answers, and Fastlane. All of these technologies help in developing mobile app seamlessly.
- Codota – This is an AI-powered tool and reduces coding efforts. Codota reduces development efforts and you can quickly develop an app. It can be integrated with Java IDEs such as IntelliJ, Eclipse or Android Studio. While this is one of the limitations of using Codota, their official site states that Codota will support more mobile app development technologies in the future.
- Figma–Figma is a great design tool which can be used to effectively design mobile apps. This is a browser-based interface design tool. Using this, users can develop fully functional UIs for mobile apps. This is a handy tool in case you are an app developer as well as a designer.
- Firebase – Firebase is created and maintained by Google. This has a mix of different mobile app technologies put together. Using this you can develop visually appealing and UI rich designs for mobile apps. Firebase provides high-quality apps and supports iOS as well as Android. This is a good choice for apps which require database integration. With limited features, you can use Firebase for free.
There is a lot one can explore when it comes to the latest technologies. These platforms support seamless mobile app creation. This is one of the reasons for knowing the latest trend and market technologies. These are so important while developing a mobile app.
Knowing your customer base is equally important. Provide app review forms periodically to customers. This helps in ensuring your app has incorporated the user’s requirements. Making constant adjustment to an app based on customer feedback can eventually help in increasing your customer base. The app store provides user feedback along with a rating for the app.
Mobile app pricing
A lot of mobile apps are free to download and install. In case you need to specify pricing for your mobile app, then choose suitable pricing. With high pricing, you would find it difficult to get users. Consider factors such as demographics, refunds, commissions, app store payment, etc before you fix pricing for your mobile app.
Once you have created your mobile app, it is important to market the app through multiple channels. Before the app launch, you can create a buzz about the app launch. Similarly, you can propagate the app via social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Ensure you market the app for at least 2 or 3 weeks prior to its launch date.
Email marketing is yet another way to amplify your app launch. One such example is as shown below:
Yet another example is as shown below:
Focusing enough on multiple marketing strategies allows you to amplify your app presence.
Know your audience
Understanding the market and knowing your audience is essential. This will let you focus on certain demographics detail to propagate your app. There are a certain age group of smartphone users who might be interested in using your app. Focus more on such customer base. Knowing what your customers are seeking can help you create a relevant app.
Develop an app that can provide unique features as compared to your competitors. Some apps support cashback, discounts, and referrals. These are ways in which you can motivate your customers to use the app more frequently. Learn what your competitors have to offer. You can have a promotional offer for first-time app users.
While you develop a mobile app to sell items, the security of the app should be on your priority list. Features such as source code encryption, development platform security, use latest cryptographic techniques, perform security/penetration testing, secure the database, use the authentication/authorization mechanism, secure your network.
Implement mobile encryption policies.Ensure you do enough functional and security testing of your app with the help of a professional.
App design is one piece where you may want to invest more time. Keep the design of an app which does not look cluttered. There are multiple app designing tools available. Tools such as Sketch, Axure RP, Marvel, Proto.io allow you to quickly design your app with a huge collection of templates they provide.
A classic example of app design is the Amazon app. You can do all the things that are available on the website using this app.
Once a user has created an app, ensure you provide configurable push notifications. You can add notifications for app updates, discounts, deal of the day, etc. This lets the user remember about the app and secondly is also a marketing strategy to increase your sales.
Building an app for selling items can be beneficial in case you have the right design and marketing strategy. Click To Tweet With the increase in the number of smartphone shoppers, it gets increasingly important to cater to users who choose mobile apps.
Mobile apps ensure shoppers can shop on the go. This is an advantage to your online store and can eventually increase your sales. Building mobile apps can drastically increase your sales revenue.