Let’s imagine you need to buy a product such as a watch, T-shirt, shoes or anything you find as you look around. So where exactly do you check these before making an online purchase?
Well, doesn’t Google sound as the right place where most of us do our product research?
That sounds simple yet it is hard when as a store owner you are trying to drive organic traffic to your website.
You might also be interested in the following articles:
Advanced E-Commerce SEO with Case Studies and Practical Tips
7 Ecommerce SEO Best Practices to Boost Your Sales in 2020
10 eCommerce SEO Tips to Generate More Traffic
E-commerce SEO Checklist to Increase Online Store Traffic
Pick up any top-rated e-commerce SEO case study and you will find a great boom in sales owing to an increase in organic traffic.
Most of you would agree that you do not have patience to search for a product and browse beyond the first page. In fact, most of you would consider just checking the top 3 or 4 options of the search.
A search like shown below gives you a list of stores, of which only the first few are what catches user attention. These are the websites, that are going to get the greatest number of hits. It is intuitive that most online shoppers stick to only couple of these options that show right on the top.The same search also gave me a paid Ad, which like most online shoppers even I ignored and browsed down the page to check the top-rated searches.
For this search, I didn’t even scroll down the page to check other options, leave aside going and checking the second page of search result.
With every click to your website, there are higher chances of conversion. Now you would have realized how you can monetize on organic traffic.
However, the question is how one can get more organic traffic to their online store website.
How to get More Organic Traffic On your Ecommerce Site?
Increasing organic traffic is highly dependent on SEO tactics you adopt. Several SEO case studies suggest how top businesses have seen an increase in traffic by using optimization techniques. Click To Tweet
Below are a few well-known tips that can help you increase your organic traffic.
User Reviews – Search engines like to rank content which are unique and have quality. User reviews is a quick way to generate unique content using your existing user base. Always enable user reviews on your business website. To add on, encourage more users to write reviews.
Reviews provide better insights about the product and can be a driving factor to increase sales by uplifting your organic traffic. A review as provided below works out well to gain more customers, as well as search engines, rank you better.Added with that is the rating that appears on the search engine. It is clearly a win-win situation to drive more website traffic.
Product Titles and Descriptions–Titles are one of the first pieces of your product that most users see. A title should be closely relevant to the product you sell as well as you should include keywords. Most users will not have the patience to click on every search and check the details of the product.
Unless you add relevant information to your titles, it’s hard to make users click on your product link. Same is the case with product descriptions. Long, boring descriptions are sure to be ignored. Use highlighted keywords, bullet pointers and make the description elaborate but not lengthy.
Below is one such product title. From the title, it is clear what product is being sold.
To this, you can add a good, catchy description as shown in the below example.
The description includes key pointers highlighted using the upper case. You would agree, as you browse through this description, even if you do not read it completely you still understand the product features well.This stands a better chance of being sold.
Optimize website–SEO closely depends on your website loading time. If you have a website that takes more than 10 seconds, then most search engines will penalize the ranking. Most e-commerce websites own tons of images. Use appropriate image compression techniques. Caching technology such as Cloudflare should be used to reduce load time.
On your website use sitemap with easy navigation. This ensures good user experience as well as helps search engines to rank your website better. Make product pages distinguishable as individual searches so that these can appear on the relevant user searches.
Below is a similar search that appears independently on search engines.
Provide product zoom-in options to users so that they can view the larger picture of the product. The key is to keep your website simple, add quality images that are quick to load.
Responsive website–This seems extremely crucial to improve organic traffic. Given the fact that the number of mobile users is increasing drastically, it’s hard to ignore making your website responsive. With user experience, you need to also provide a website that works well on any device.
Link Building–Link building is one of the challenging parts of SEO. However, well-curated link building can drastically increase organic traffic. Add relevant links that are associated with the product you sell; else Google adds penalties for black hat link building.
Link building from a high DA website can generate more leads, which in turn increases sales for your online store.
Sharing – Enable social media sharing for your products so that it can be shared easily to a wider audience. Social sharing improves SEO as well as sometimes works as a sign of authority that helps in better ranking. With this, you can drive more organic traffic.
As shown in the below example, you can support social media handles.
Product images and videos–Add high-quality images as many as possible. Similarly, since users can’t touch and see the product, it’s a good idea to add videos with the product.
When users like your product presentation, it is likely that you will see an increase in the purchase. More traffic being driven to your website ensures you rank higher and get better organic traffic.
Content marketing and community forum–Content plays a key role in SEO. Adding content in the form of blogs or including a community forum can open gates for user-generated content. This way you can better interact with customers as well as create brand awareness.
Internal Links– Internal links within your website can create additional opportunities to get leads. This way you can increase traffic. Constantly add internal links to build a strong profile that can enhance SEO.
Also regularly check for any broken links. Broken links can result in the drop in search engine ranking for your website. Check for 404 pages.
Meta Description and URL– Once you rank higher on the search result, the first thing to catch user attention is the meta description. In case your meta description is not relevant to the product, then most users will not click the link.
Include keywords in your meta description. As shown below, add a good meta description along with highlighting the brand name.
Use URLs that are closely relevant to products and these should be keyword optimized. As shown in the below example, the URL carries the product name.
These are some of the well-tested ways you can improve your SEO which in turn will improve your ranking in organic search. As a result,it would increase organic traffic to your e-commerce website.
What are the Best eCommerce SEO Case Studies?
While you might have read the above SEO techniques to drive more organic traffic, it’s clearly not very simple to implement all this altogether. Especially if you are a newbie in the world of SEO, organic traffic, Google ranking etc., then I am sure you are already thinking about how to implement all these SEO tactics.
So, does this mean you end up having a huge learning curve for e-commerce SEO?
Well, absolutely not. There are better ways to master e-commerce SEO.
One of the best ways to get started is by looking at e-commerce SEO case studies that have been impactful.
Below are some such case studies:
Problem Statement–MYOB provides business software solution products predominately catering to the market in Australia and New Zealand. The aim was to increase organic traffic and improve visibility on Google. MYOB has some of the high-end competitors such as Salesforce.
Resolution–To increase leads, and enhance organic search below was followed:
- Perform an SEO audit to find loopholes in SEO strategy. The domain was analyzed for any technical SEO issues.
- SEO analysis tools were extensively used to perform keyword research and data tracking. Using keyword reporting features, the keywords were analyzed to build stories and create intuitive dashboards.
- Website was restructured for easy page navigation
- Intelligent content marketing strategies were developed to add a number of blogs based on keyword research.
- As a result, MYOB saw an increase in free sign-ups by 162%. Gradually constant keyword research was implemented to see a substantial increase in leads. The new leads increased by almost 2000.
- The organic search results for business software solutions giveMYOB a higher ranking avoiding the brand from being dependent on Paid advertisements.
Pro Tip–SEO audit, content marketing, and extensive keyword research can uplift your organic traffic drastically.
Problem Statement– Concrete Camouflage is a business that focuses on decorative concrete products that include floor waxes, sealers, etc. This has been in the market for over 20 years and was generating traffic mainly from marketplaces such as Amazon, HomeDepot, etc. As a brand, Concrete Camouflage wanted to generate better organic traffic and make their website directly visible.
Resolution–A thorough website SEO audit was performed to find the SEO traps.
- It was found thatthe website had low domain authority and had some on-site UI issues. This being a competitive industry the UI needed to be revamped to look relevant to the current market.
- Two main strategies were adopted – First, the issue of technical errors in the website was focused along with page optimization strategies using schema markup. Second, the focus was given to employ content marketing.
- Long-tailed keywords were researched, and content amplification was employed. Any technical issues holding the website back was identified and fixed. More videos were added to the website content.
- Navigation within the site was made simpler along with adding substantial link building.
- Social media presence was added to the brand.
- As a result of the SEO strategy, the brand saw an increase in revenue by 52%, while Facebook followers increased by 139%. The keyword ranking on page#1 has seen an increase of 392%.
Pro Tip – SEO audit to understand technical SEO issues along with revamping of UI can be a game-changer in your SEO strategy.
Problem Statement–Graco Inc. is one of the leading B2B suppliers for fluid handling products. They provide solutions for contractors, home owners, etc. In most cases, the pages appearing on searches were not the preferred landing pages that Graco wanted users to see. By showing the most relevant pages on search, Graco wanted to optimize their sales funnel and generate better leads.
- SEO best practices such as image optimization were added in addition to check on-page SEO technical fallouts.
- The main focus was on lead generation by making the right pages appear on search.
- The creative strategy included tracking keywords for existing content instead of focusing on adding additional content
- Keyword research uncovered a huge potential to target high search volumes. The website saw an influx in organic traffic gained from quick answer opportunities.
- By using keyword prioritization, Graco has seen an almost 718% increase in People also ask result. Similarly, it has also seen a 145% increase in Quick answer results and a 35.4% increase in image ranking.
Pro Tip – Understanding what keywords are being picked in existing pages and incorporating appropriate keyword-based contents on your preferred landing pages can see an increase in organic traffic. Quick answers and People also ask sections is another turning point to improve website SEO.
What are the top 4 Steps to Increase E-commerce Site Traffic?
Pick anye-commerce SEO case study and this would clearly indicate how fixing the right SEO fallout can impact website organic traffic.
Below are the top 4 steps to increase e-commerce site traffic:
- SEO – Clearly nothing beats SEO when its an opportunity to increase e-commerce site traffic. SEO has an exhaustive list of pre-defined rules that you should ensure your website follows. Once you have the right SEO strategy, your organic traffic will be unstoppable. Keyword research plays a key role over here, though other SEO strategies if not implemented the right way can be massive SEO spoilers.
- Content Marketing–Adding valuable content as well as user-generated content can see a surge in overall site traffic. The focus must be on creating unique, quality content that most users search. Yes, and this again is incomplete without targeting the right keywords.
- Social Media Marketing – Leveraging the potential of different social media channels such as Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, etc. can be a real booster to drive site traffic. The key here is to run campaigns based on relevant products, offers, introductory products. Target specific customers who would be interested in your products and you can see a quick conversion. Another point to consider is the time you choose to run campaigns such as Black Friday, Christmas etc.
- Email Marketing – Email marketing has been around for some time now and this has a huge share in increasing site traffic. Most users have email Id. The point to focus on here is the strategy adopted to grow your email list. You can run periodic email campaigns along with re-targeted email campaigns to see an increase in e-commerce site traffic.
While these are the 4 top steps you can implement to see an increase in site traffic, there are other ways as well such as influencer marketing, affiliate marketing, PPC etc.
How do traffic and visitors affect SEO ranking?
Search engines such as Google use an intensive algorithm to rank contents on the huge ocean of contents it receives. There are multiple ways people can search your website. Based on the number of clicks search engines considers the popularity of your website content.
The more traffic seen on your website, search engines consider your website to be providing valuable information that is more relevant to a user search.
Some of the factors that impact SEO ranking are:
- Website visits
- Unique visits
- Bounce rate
- Time on website
- User behavior
- Number of backlinks
- Website security
- Total anchors
- Page optimization
Overall, traffic and visitors impact SEO ranking. This means while you are working on-site optimization using SEO strategies, you should also focus on alternate methods to gain more traffic. Click To TweetAny additional source of traffic can uplift your SEO ranking. This is a great way to improve SEO ranking and gradually increase your website organic traffic.
Before we conclude, here we have seen how online stores can adopt various techniques to increase organic traffic. To increase organic traffic, you should also consider adopting other ways wherein your website can see direct traffic.
E-commerce SEO case studies can highlight several such hidden pointers that can be implemented to quickly see an increase in SEO ranking.